Thursday, October 3, 2013

How we add freshwater prawns / shrimp to our Aquaponics system

I am so going to do this!  Adding crayfish or prawns to your aquaponic system is a fabulous idea because they can keep your systems nice and clean.  The plants will partially clean the water, but the prawns will do even more for your system in that respect.  It will also make your system a little more self sustaining.

The way this gentleman constructed the home for the prawns is quite brilliant, really.  However, I've heard of putting shellfish on the plant side of the system.  I know crayfish can be placed in the plant side, but I wonder if there is a reason why this individual chose to place them on the fish side.  Apparently the prawns are doing fine, however, I wonder if it's possible to avoid much of the hassle just by putting them on the plant side of the system.  The only situation where this won't work is if the plants are on clay rock grow beds.  The floating grow beds should work fine as far as I know; but I admit that I'm not an expert on this yet.

Does anyone know if putting the prawns on the plant side (with floating grow beds, of course) will or will not work?  I welcome all feedback.



No comments:

Post a Comment