Thursday, March 7, 2013

Toxin Free Dreamin'

My hubby just bought a jerky gun for me.  This will make it easy to make jerky from ground beef as opposed to slicing a steak into very, very thin slices.  It will also give me plenty to snack on during the day.

The only thing that I'm not crazy about is the material that makes the jerky gun.  My choices were a plastic jerky gun or an aluminum jerky gun.  I posted an article that talked about such materials.  BPA is simply not an option for me right now and aluminum is something that I've always thought that I've done a good job avoiding; but I found out recently that I may have more aluminum in the kitchen than I would like to believe.

My comfort is the fact that I never heat any of the aluminum that I have.  I use it with raw food.  According to a "Natural Health News" article that I've posted, most of these materials (with some exceptions like plastic), start leaching at 200 degrees.  This would suggest that I really have little to worry about.  Even so, it makes me sad that it can be so difficult to have a kitchen that is free of toxins.

I feel like I have to make almost everything myself in order to have a toxin free life.  I truly hope one day we can increase our choices about things like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment