Monday, March 25, 2013

DIY Wooden Worm Bin

I"ve posted much about worm bins this month; mostly because I've been researching how to make one.  I refuse to buy petroleum based bins; I can't imagine making any livestock (not even worms) live in such a toxic environment.  I'm depending on these little critters to create a home for my vegetables until they are ready to be picked and eaten.  If that's the case, then I need to create a good home for them too.

If you live in an apartment and you don't like petroleum based bins either, you may need to purchase a wooden bin or get REALLY creative.  Many people keep worm bins in their kitchen since that's where most of the worm food comes from anyway.  Some don't like the idea of worms in their kitchen though.  As long as you have a place where your little friends are sheltered from extreme heat or cold, keeping them outside is fine.

This is the closest version of a worm bin that I am planning, although there are some additional things that I will be adding to my worm bin to make it easy for me to keep them happy, safe and warm.


1 comment: