Sunday, March 2, 2014

Dairy and Leaky Gut


Many health professionals advise elimination of dairy from the diet to heal leaky gut syndrome.  In my experience, dairy isn't always bad.  Yogurt, in fact, is a part of the GAPS diet. I understand there are even some cheeses that are so high in good cultures and beneficial yeasts that even THEY are included in the GAPS diet (perhaps not in the beginning though).

I take probiotic supplements, but even my nutritionist said she would prefer it if I got a good portion of my probiotic intake from food. I never felt like I was getting enough so I started looking for a goat farmer (that sold shares for raw milk) so that I could make yogurt, though I tested VERY poorly on dairy (meaning I'm allergic or sensitive). I found a GREAT farmer! What I love about her is that she doesn't feed her animals the garbage; so they are a very healthy, happy bunch.   I'm officially on the waiting list for goat's milk, however, she also has cows that are a different species from the norm and there were shares available for them. The farmer gave me a sample of the cow's milk to take to my doctor to test me. I couldn't believe it, but I tested REALLY well on this milk! So now I include yogurt in my diet and I feel GREAT!

So although there are many dietary protocols for healing leaky gut; we need to be careful sometimes about what we eliminate from our diets.  Dr. Campbell-McBride constantly encourages to "Listen to your bodies" because what's good for me may not be good for you.  Dairy can be bad for some; but if you can find a dynamite dairy farmer like mine, raw dairy has LOADS of cultures and enzymes that could help heal leaky gut syndrome.  Get tested and listen to your body; if raw milk is the way to go for you, then go for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment