Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Be Careful of Demonizing Food

A friend of mine posted this video on Facebook. Everything that this video says about low-fat peanut butter and diet soda I am so on board with. What the video suggests about trail mix and dried fruits, however, is mostly true… but to a point.

Trail mix, for example, is actually a great snack; but only when it's made from real food. The trail mix that was shown in the video had refined sugars in the dried fruit, candy, BHA in the nuts and it's probable that the dried fruit was processed with sulfur. I would agree any day of the week that that is not food and should never be consumed. If one makes one's own trail mix, however, out of organic nuts and untreated dry fruits that were naturally dehydrated, for example, then that's just a healthy snack. Therefore, what they said about dried fruits is also true if the fruit is GMO, contains added sugar and/or is processed with sulfur or other toxic additives. Organic dried figs, dates, mangoes and many others are not only natural candies but they also have health benefits.

We've got to be careful about demonizing food. Yes, most of the so-called "food" in the video should not be consumed. But what should be demonized is the refined garbage that is mistakenly deemed as food. Do not demonize food itself. Food is healthy, necessary, nourishing and can even be medicinal. The foods that make most people sick today, are either food-like products or are real food that are allergic or sensitive to because of the food-like products that we've consumed in the past.

I encourage all to do research and not listen to everything that you hear; not even from me.




2 comments:

  1. I truly like your post, I beleive that we have been sorely misled on what is safe and healthy.Not until my health went further south did I get an interest.I also feel it is not an easy thing to change.For instance, I really don't miss empty carbs most of the time, it has been a process to change what we have been forcefed.I usually eat vegtables now instead of dirty carbs.example, cabbage and mushrooms with my steak last night.I also truly like your thoughts on antibiotics, and think you are at the forefront of the latest findings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly for your compliments, my friend!

      You're right! It's not easy to change. I admit that my transition from the "phude" to food was painful. Giving up P1zza Hut, for example, took me years because it was my favorite food. Now the thought of that stuff kind of makes me gag.

      Delete