Monday, December 23, 2013

Healthy States and Unhealthy States

There are some cities in the United States that have little if any sense of what it means to eat healthy and/or be healthy. I have a friend who lives in the southern part of the United States, who wanted to find a health food store a few months ago. I was only too happy to help her look. Unfortunately, most people did not seem to know what organic food even was. I mean, every time I called a restaurant or a store people were utterly confused when I asked them about organic food. I admit that I was confused by their confusion; how do they not know what organic food is? Unfortunately, to some in the United States food is food; and that's the way it should be! Food should just be food!  It's the other stuff like GMOs and the processed garbage that should be labeled.

There is a very rural area in Pennsylvania where it's breathtakingly beautiful. But when you walk into the Walmart or any other shopping center in this area, it's hard not to notice that a majority of the community is overweight. There used to be a health food store in town, but they didn't sell any fresh produce at all. I discovered a town in Virginia recently, that has a very similar issue. There seems to be one health food store in the entire town, plus a farmers market that sells only two days a week. It would be a huge problem for me to live in such a town, because it's next to impossible for me to find real food in the mainstream grocery stores.

My heart breaks for such towns in the United States. Those are the communities that are doomed to be unhealthy and are likely to spend the rest of their lives wondering why.  There is hope all over the internet.  It didn't take me a very long time to figure out where to look for answers; I have the same hope for such people.

No comments:

Post a Comment