Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Callaloo

If you're are a non-Jamaican reading this post, I'm sure "calla-who?" or something of that nature has crossed your mind as you read the title.  Allow me to introduce you to callaloo baby!  It is an amazingly healthful, not to mention delicious, leafy green vegetable.  It's very popular in Jamaica (and around the rest of the Caribbean from what I've read).



My father recently sent callaloo seeds for me to plant this year.  Callaloo is apparently not difficult to grow; which is perfect since I'm a beginner.  So I'm looking forward to how this goes.

I'm so excited, but there is one problem.  The callaloo recipe that I absolutely LOVE is callaloo with salt fish.  To me, (and I mean JUST to me) callaloo is good in many other dishes, but it is BOSS with salt fish.  I did recently try a callaloo dish which turned out to be a quiche to my surprise (it certainly didn't look like quiche).  Of course, I ended up sick from it because of the white flour pastry and possibly from the conventional cheese.  If I could make that dish with a whole grain or sprouted grain crust and with a more healthful ingredients, I think that a callaloo quiche could be enjoyable AND healthful.  Since I'm on the GAPS diet, however, quiche is sort of off the menu for me... for right now anyway.  That leaves the callaloo and salt fish dish and, again, salt fish isn't always easy to find.  One way or the other, I'm going to need to be far more creative with the callaloo recipes to keep them flavorful as well as GAPS diet friendly.

Once again, most of the Jamaican dishes that I grew up with could be nutrient dense; but one needs to switch out the modernized ingredients (the canola oil, sugar and white flour garbage).  Callaloo dishes are a great example of that, if one could keep the ingredients in callaloo recipes healthy, then it could make a variety of mouth-watering, nutrient-packed dishes!

So if you are so fortunate to discover the delights of this leafy green jewel, please feel free to share your experience or your recipes if you want.  Questions, comments and furthermores are ALWAYS welcome.  In any case have fun and stay healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment