Monday, June 23, 2014

Ting!




In Jamaica there is a grapefruit soda called "Ting" that as a child, I couldn't drink enough of!  I went to Jamaica the last time equipped with information and conviction about healthy foods and healthy diets and was shocked and upset to see the ingredients in Ting was not just grapefruit juice, carbonated water and a sweetener.  Yes, I even expected a sweetener!  I didn't expect artificial flavoring and coloring both of which it contained.

Well, amen, I learned how to make my own Ting.  Above is a picture of MY finished product.  When I make homemade Ting it ALWAYS fizzes up something fierce!  I had to "burp" this batch twice after refrigeration.  As you can see in the picture, it was STILL bubbling up.  I made this with grapefruit juice and a ginger bug.  Below is Sarah, the Healthy Home Economist, teaching how to make a ginger bug.  Pour about a fourth of a cup of the ginger bug into about 6 cups of grapefruit juice, cap and wait for one to three days.  I warn you though, it may NOT allow you to wait three days!  This was fizzing like this after just a few hours, so I'm allowing it to finish fermenting in the fridge.

Let me just say that this soda is GOOD!  I enjoy it very much and because it has healthy cultures in it I'm allowed to drink it on my GAPS diet.  Try this at home!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment