Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Garden Progress

I really didn't think my garden (which was planted very, very late) was going to be fruitful at all.  Well, I still wouldn't exactly label it as fruit-"full", but I have one pickle fermenting and a few others on the way.  There was a recent problem with cucumber bugs that kink of threw a spoon in things.  The little buzzards lay eggs in the soil and the larvae deposits a bacteria that kills off the plant.  A good chunk of the plant and several cucumbers were lost; but with a little DE (diatomaceous earth), some garlic cloves and bay leaves in the soil and I managed to save the day.  As I mentioned, I now have a few more cucumbers on the way.  Because of recent rainfall, however, I need to add more DE to the leaves to keep the cucumber bugs at bay.

What are some things that you do for pest control?

No comments:

Post a Comment