Friday, January 3, 2014

Slippery Elm Bark and Tissue Repair

I first learned about slippery elm bark from the friend who introduced me to my first natropathic doctor. I believe that was the first or second time I had ever suffered from bronchitis. Another friend of mine advised me to take a very common Russian remedy for bronchitis, while the other one suggested slippery elm bark. I remember having to take the slippery elm bark with a heated beverage; apparently, heat activates slippery elm bark.

I learned later that not only does it help to heal cough, it aids tissue repair. Anything that aids tissue repair can heal just about any disease. The disease may not heal immediately, but anything that can help heal inflammation can help heal the entire body. Inflammation is what causes just about any disease that you can imagine. Flu, for example, is caused by a virus, yes, but a strong and healthy body with very little to no inflammation is more likely to fight that virus off before the the individual knows that their body is being invaded. This is why slippery elm is gold; especially to those of us with leaky gut syndrome.  Last year was the first year in a long time that I caught a cold or flu virus, but didn't get sick.  I knew this was an excellent sign that I was healing even before my doctor said so.

For those who use slippery elm bark for leaky gut, one piece of advice I keep reading is to make sure that you take a LOT of probiotics with it.  Obviously, it may not be the best idea to take them at the same time (since slippery elm is heat activated and heat can weaken or kill cultures), but maybe take the slippery elm between meals that are rich in probiotics (kefir, sauerkraut, yogurt...).  I usually eat slippery elm with a honey-sweetened candy that I make with sesame seeds.  Then after about a half hour, I chug two shots of coconut kefir (approximately 2 tablespoons) or eat some coconut yogurt.  That's right, why not have FUN with the supplements that you're taking!

I try to take slippery elm everyday in some way; whether it's in those candies or in my tea or some other dish.  My nutritionist HIGHLY recommends it for leaky gut; and, in fact, gives her clients a supplement that contains slippery elm bark.  So have fun and if you have any recipes that you'd like to share, feel free to share them in the comments below.





2 comments:

  1. Slippery elm is very useful for your skin. It is wonderful remedy for you if your skin has burns, scars and poor skin health. It is rich in anti-oxidants and eliminate the free radicals from the body and improves skin. Also, it heals age spots to promote a youthful look to the skin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this informative information about slippery elm bark with us. It's very helpful. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete